Got your Samsung Galaxy S10 wet? You dropped smartphone in water, got it wet in the rain or maybe split some other liquids on it? Don’t worry about that, this smartphones has dust and water resistance Ingress Protection. Let’s figure out how to prevent water damage on Samsung Galaxy S10?
How to identify Galaxy S10 has water damage?
The first thing you have to do is to ensure that you have to deal with water damage problem and not some other kind of damage. Liquid inside your Galaxy S10 can affect the mobile device in several ways:
- No audio or problems with it.
- Fuzzy growth on the charging, microphone, headset and SIM ports.
- Liquid under the screen.
- Blurred photos, if moisture got into camera lens.
- No functioning at all.
Even if Galaxy S10 is dust and water resistant phones this does not mean they cannot have liquid damage or are waterproof. Device can cope with some reaction with water, but it still can be water damaged.
Liquid Detection Indicator.
Liquid Damage Indicator (LDI) or Liquid Contact Indicator (LCI) speak for themselves. It is one more way to check if Samsung Galaxy S10 has water damage.
It is located inside the SIM tray. The SIM tray itself is located on the top of the device on the left side. LDI is visible when the tray is out of the device.
The white background and red x-shaped marks mean that the device has no liquid inside. The background is fully red/pink when indicator expose with water.
How to Prevent Water Damage on Samsung Galaxy S10?
To prevent water damage on your device follow this rules:
- If you got your phone wet, clean it with soft, dry cloth.
- Better not to soak your Samsung Galaxy S10 more than 5 feet and 30 minutes. You can control your mobile device in water, just press physical button, in example volume button or else
- Try not to expose Galaxy S10 to water with high pressure, for example ocean waves.
- It is not recommended to get your phone in contact with ionized water, salt water and soapy water. If exposed phone to salt water, clean in with fresh water and after that dry with soft cloth. Pay attention especially to the microphone and speaker ports, they might not work properly.
- Do not use your device for calls immediately after it was soaked in water. It can make the sound unclear, the other side just won’t hear you well. Dry it firstly with soft cloth, but it would be better to let it air dry before making calls.
- If you got moisture in Samsung device charging port, do not try to charge it. Clean it as much as you can with dry cloth and then let it just dry natural way. If there is some other liquid, wash it firstly with fresh water and clean dry after that.
There are some other prophylactic recommendations and tips:
- Do not let your device fall a lot of times, physical damage such as screen cracks can affect dust and water resistance and some other features.
- When you want to hold your smartphone, check if your hands are dry and clean.
- The phone screen might not work properly if there is some liquid on it.
How do I get rid of moisture detected on my S10?
The most popular myth is that you put your device in rice and it magically starts working again. Do not believe it, it will do nothing. So what can you do after your Samsung Galaxy S10 sank in water?
- Firstly, turn off the power on phone and do not press any physical button.
- Rinse it with water by immersing phone into it. Rinsing it under a running tap might cause damage.
- Dry it with soft cloth or some paper towels.
- Shake your phone a bit, for water to left charging and microphone ports, but do not try to shake it with power, it may cause water spreading even deeper inside.
- Remove your SIM card and memory card.
- Dry it with some kind of duster, to blow the water out, but do not use high heat blowers as it can damage the screen and cause some other physical damage.
- Put your Samsung in container with drying agent, it will absorb the leftover moisture. You can use those silica gel packets that you get with new bags or new shoes.
- Only after making sure that your phone is totally dry, and only after that you can charge your device. Otherwise, water will go further inside and cause damage.
It is not guaranteed that your device will work after this, it depends on the damage level. If your device is already damaged it is possible to replace some details. So if your device is not turning on, it is better to go to the Samsung service center.
Interesting, that for a long time there were no warranty for water damage. For example Australia presents that Samsung smartphones are waterproof for any type of liquid (which is not really true). After that they did not accept any complains about warranty from customers who damaged their phones by sinking it in ocean and swimming pools.
As it was said earlier, Samsung devices are resistant to water, which means it is possible for your device to contact with water , but you surely cannot just leave it wet for a long time without causing damage.
What is Ingress protection rating system?
“Ingress Protection rating system” or IP is code which rates the water resistance of phones. Basically, it gives you knowledge about the level of protection from solids like dust and liquid exposure. Now we know what IP means, but what about two numbers from the side?
The first number indicate protection from dust and other solids, while the other one shows how water resistant is your device.
As we can see in the picture, Samsung Galaxy S10 has one of the highest ingress protection, full protection from solids like dirt, sand, and dust, and protection from water immersion more than one one-meter depth. Moreover, Samsung Galaxy S10 is almost waterproof but only on freshwater.
So now you know how to identify water damage, what are IP68, and most important how to prevent water damage on Samsung Galaxy S10.
Remember, do not panic much if you got your device wet by chance, there are always ways to prevent hard damage. If all the advice did not help you, call on Samsung service center. Be careful with your phone!
Perhaps, you are also looking for information on how to find my hotspot password on Samsung s10, please follow this link.